After spending the better part of the last 15 winters driving our kids to their ski races and training sessions; buyng, maintaining, fixing, and tuning innumerable pairs of skis; driving hours to cheer them on; and being "volunteered" to help out at races they were in (and loving every minute of all of this), I realized I had a better chance of putting those experiences to work for me to "qualify" for the Olympics, than I ever had as a so-so athlete. So after 2-3 years of numerous applications (with a CV put together quite different than for my professional life), references, interviews, and self-paid trips across the country to gain experience at National and International World Cup races, I finally made it to the Olympics. Hurray !! For most of next month I will be on the slopes of Whistler, shoveling and scraping, drilling and screwing, erecting and taking down, and basically doing whatever my crew chief tells me to ... and hopefully getting some close-up views of the world's best ski racers. And most importantly, no doctoring.
Here are the three people who got me to this point !
And of course where would be without sponsors (or should I say where would they be without most of us actually having to buy equipment)?


6 comments:
And what the second caption should read is "Here are the two people that got the middle three of us to ALL POINTS"
p.s. We're so proud of you!!
Dear steven. I was so excited to see your blog. Now i have a reason to get excited about the Olympics. Have fun. Love reissa
Dear Steven,
Congrats! You worked hard for it, you made it, enjoy! We'll enjoy the Olympics vicariously through your blog - only we don't have to do the hard work. Looking forward to news. Love,Mom
Glad you're there Steven, even though we wish you could also have been with us.
MIT Stone Age Ski Team
John Schultz, John Nabelek, Miles Wagner and Gil Flanagan
Post a Comment